I’ve been wanting to buy an electronic hookah head for several months now, ever since learning that they exist. They’re so expensive though and I just wasn’t sure how well they would work. Not to mention that even if I did buy one, I would only be using my hookah on the rare occasions when I have friends over. For those reasons, I couldn’t justify paying $100 or more.
Luckily for me, I won the Aspire Proteus E-hookah in a contest that AspireHookah.com was running! Even if I had lost, I was still thinking about buying it because this is the first electronic hookah head that I’ve seen for $50 or less. And it’s made by Aspire, which is a quality brand that I trust and have purchased from before.
Here’s a quick rundown of the Proteus.
- It comes with two 18650 batteries
- Really easy for anyone to setup and use
- Has a max output of 70 watts (according to an Aspire employee), which I’ve found to be plenty of power
- Works on any hookah
- No dry hits, even after taking 10+ hits in a row
- Comes with a glass tank, which is better for flavor and protects against “tank cracking” juices
- If you break the tank, a glass replacement is only $5.00
- It’s big and clunky. It’s not very attractive
- No frills. No buttons. You can’t change wattage. No temperature control
- You can’t see how much e-liquid is left in the tank when it goes below the top of the device
- The user manual doesn’t explain wattage or any other technical specs
- The batteries are ICR batteries, which means if they vent due to a short, they can be much more violent than when IMR batteries vent
- Battery covers are hard to take off by hand
- I got a dry hit when I maxed out my draw to 10 seconds. The coil doesn’t wick fast enough.
- Can’t use different atomizers
- Coils are a little expensive at around $4-5 each
Would I Recommend It?
Definitely! The Aspire Proteus is affordable enough to make it worth the purchase. From my own personal use, I feel like it provides plenty of power. It doesn’t have any features, but it doesn’t really need any. It’s ready to go right out of the box for any person at any level of vaping experience. I have really enjoyed my experience with the Proteus so far and I can’t wait to start using it with friends.
Here are some places you can find the Aspire Proteus E-Hookah:
These are affiliate links. You don’t have to use them, but I would appreciate it if you did. It doesn’t cost you anything extra and the companies below will give me small percentage of each sale, which helps me keep this site going. Thanks for your support!