There are two main types of vapes: disposable and rechargeable.
Typically, when talking about disposable vapes, it’s generally assumed that it’s not refillable or reusable, although there are now some disposables hitting the market that can be refilled a few times. There are also now rechargeable disposables that hold a large amount of e-juice and that are designed to be recharged a few times so that the vaper can use all of the e-juice in the device.
And generally, when talking about rechargeable vapes, it’s assumed that the device is a reusable and refillable vape that can be used forever (or until it breaks). These types of vapes are referred to as “mods.”
Both have their pros and cons, so it’s important to know which one is right for you. Let’s go over each one in more detail.
What Are Disposable Vapes
Disposable vapes are designed to be used until their e-liquid is used up and then thrown away. There are a few different styles of disposable vapes, such as pen-style vapes, box-shaped vapes, and cigarette-style vapes (dubbed “cigalikes”), but they all function mostly the same. These types of vapes often have a non-removable pod or cartridge installed inside the vape, and when the vape runs dry, the whole thing is thrown away.
What Are Rechargeable Disposable Vapes
Rechargeable disposable vapes are a new type of disposable vape that is slowly hitting the market. These vapes have a built-in battery that can be recharged a few times, so you’re not stuck with a dead disposable after the e-liquid runs out. These types of vapes often have a USB charging port located somewhere on the body.
The Advantages of Disposable Vapes
- They’re super easy to use. Just open up the package and take a hit.
- There’s no need to worry about charging them or refilling them. No maintenance is required!
- Disposable vapes are often very cheap. You can find a decent disposable vape for under $10 USD.
- Disposable vapes are great for people who want to try vaping
The Disadvantages of Disposable Vapes
- You can’t refill them or reuse them. Once the e-liquid is gone, you have to throw them away. (although there are some models on the market that are refillable, such as the Wotofo Refillo)
- A draining battery can impact the quality of the hit. You may find yourself taking weaker and shorter hits as the battery dies.
- Disposables come in limited flavors, and many of the flavors from one brand tastes the same as the flavors from other brands, so there can be a lack of variety.
The Environmental Concerns of Disposables Vapes
One of the most common complaints about disposables is that they’re not eco-friendly. These are plastic devices with electrical components and internal batteries (usually Li-ion batteries). Once you’re finished with the vape, it goes into the trash. This would be less of a problem if everyone recycled their disposables after use, but it’s an unfortunate reality that few people do. But if you do use a disposable vape, consider recycling them during DEA National Take Back days. It’s been said that vapes can also be disposed of in special battery disposable bins such as at Lowes and Home Depot, but neither company has made an official statement on whether they will actually disassemble and recycle the batteries from vape devices.
You’re Restricted to Nicotine Salt in Disposable Vapes
Most disposable vapes come prefilled with salt-based nicotine, whereas refillable vapes give you the option to use either salt-based nicotine or regular nicotine because you get to choose what you want to fill it with.
Salt-based nicotine provides a more pleasurable experience because it’s less harsh than regular nicotine, but it’s also usually used in much higher concentrations than regular nicotine, which some people aren’t comfortable with. To offer some perspective, most people use 3-12mg (0.03-0.12%) of regular nicotine in a refillable device but 30-50mg (3%-5%) of salt-based nicotine in a disposable. If you’re not comfortable with using high levels of nicotine, a disposable is probably not the best option for you.
Where to Buy Disposable Vapes
Disposable vapes are the easiest types of vapes to find. You’ll find these in the usual places, such as vape shops and online, but you can also find them at convenience stores like Walgreens and most gas stations. Your choices will be limited at gas stations and convenience stores, but at least you have those options if you need something quickly.
Popular Disposable Vapes
Below are some of the most popular disposable vapes on the market right now. If you’re just getting started with vaping and want the best experience, I would suggest starting with these since they’re already proven to be well-liked.
- Elf Bar BC5000 ($16.99)
- Hyppe Max Flow Disposables ($11.45)
- SWFT Mod 5000 ($16.99)
- Flum Float 3000 ($15.99)
- Truly Bar Elf 5000 ($15.95)
- Zoovoo Dragbars ($13.88)
- 7 Daze EGGE 3000 ($11.99)
Non-Disposable Rechargeable Vapes
What are Rechargeable Vapes
Rechargeable vapes, also known as “mods,” are rechargeable vaping devices that have either non-removable or removable batteries. They tend to be more powerful than disposable vapes, which means they produce more vapor. They also give you more control over things like the voltage, wattage, and coil resistance, which lets you customize the vaping experience.
Rechargeable Pod Systems
Not all rechargeable systems are “mods,” for example, pod systems. These are rechargeable devices with non-removable batteries that can be reused indefinitely but instead use refillable (usually around 4-6 times) or disposable pods. Pod systems don’t usually have all of the features that a mod has, but some of them have adjustable wattage and adjustable airflow.
The Advantages of Rechargeable Vapes
- More Power – Rechargeable devices usually have adjustable wattage. It varies by device, but you can find these devices with power ranges anywhere from 10 to 100+ watts.
- More Vapor – With more power, you can get as much vapor as you’d like, which can be a lot more satisfying for many people.
- Customizable Vaping Experiences – You can also adjust the voltage, coil resistance, and other settings to customize your vaping experience.
The Disadvantages of Rechargeable Vapes
- The biggest disadvantage of rechargeable vapes is that they require some initial investment. You’ll need to buy the device, batteries, charger, and e-liquid. But once you have all of those things, you’re set for a long time.
- They’re also not as convenient as disposable vapes because you need to remember to charge them.
- They can be complicated – Rechargeable mods often have many settings; sometimes so many that they can be really daunting for beginners.
Using Your Own Liquid in Rechargeable Vapes
The great thing about refillable vapes is that you can use any liquid you want. If you want to use regular nicotine, salt-based nicotine, or even CBD oil, it’s up to you. You’re not restricted to using just salt-based nicotine like you are with disposable vapes.
You can also choose from hundreds, maybe thousands of different flavors from hundreds of different companies and brands. You can really find the flavors that you love without being restricted to the common flavors found in disposables.
Where to Buy Rechargeable Vapes
You can find rechargeable mods just about anywhere that sells vaping products. This includes vape shops, online retailers, and even some convenience stores.
Some of the Most Popular Rechargeable Vapes
Here are some of the most popular rechargeable vapes on the market:
- VooPoo Drag X 80w Pod Mod Starter Kit ($46.99)
- Smok Nord 5 Vape Pod Starter Kit ($33.99)
- Geekvape Aegis M100 Kit ($69.99)
- Geekvape Wenax H1 ($19.95)
- Freemax Marvos X Kit ($39.88)
- Vaporesso Target 200 Starter Kit ($63.99)
Frequently Asked Questions
Are Disposable Vapes Better Than Rechargeables – This depends entirely on the needs of each person. Disposables are far easier and more convenient to use than rechargeables but are more expensive in the long run. But disposables are also more affordable as individual pieces, so if it’s lost or broken, it won’t be a costly investment.
How Long Do Disposable Vapes Last – It depends on the device, but most disposable vapes will last for a few hundred puffs. Some of the newer, larger, and rechargeable disposables can reach upwards of 1,000+ puffs. As a comparison, the average smoker takes 7-8 puffs per cigarette or 180 puffs per pack. Vapers often take more puffs than they would when they smoke, though, so keep that in mind.
How Long Do Rechargeable Mods Last – A good quality rechargeable vape can last for years with proper care and maintenance. If you take care of your device and don’t abuse it, you should get a long life out of it. The batteries will need to be replaced eventually, but that’s easy and inexpensive to do, except in devices with non-removable batteries, in which case, the device will need to be thrown away.
In summary, disposable vapes are easier and more convenient to use than rechargeable vapes, but over time, they can become more expensive than rechargeables. Disposables are also fairly standard in how they perform and are considered satisfying, so vapers who use them can expect the same performance with most devices.
Rechargeable mods offer more power and customization and can be used with many more flavors, but they can be more complicated for beginners. They are also more expensive than disposables as an initial investment but are more affordable over time.
There are pros and cons to either device, so you’ll need to weigh each of those against your needs. Most vapers also need to try a wide variety of devices and options before they find what they really prefer.