Thunderhead Creations has always been a brand known for innovation and high quality in the vaping world. The Tauren Mech Boro Mod, with its sleek design and unique features, stays true to THC’s reputation.
- Size: 29.5x47x70mm
- Material: Aluminum
- Battery: 21700/18650/20700
- Colors: Matte Black, Gun Metal, Electric Blue
- $55.69 from Sourcemore (or $62.29 for the X-Chip model)
In the Box:
- Tauren Boro Mod
- Coil Leg Trimmer
- Multifunctional Wrench
- Two Battery Caps
- Build Deck Accessory
- 510 Connector
- 510 Drip Tip
- Tools and Spare Screws & O-rings
Note: Most of these kits come with an X-chip insert that gives you some safety features when using an 18650 battery. I believe I received an earlier model, which didn’t include the X-chip, so I can’t tell you anything about it. According to THC’s website, the X-chip provides short-circuit protection, over-discharge protection, battery reverse protection, and over-temperature protection
Design and Build Quality
This is a mechanical device, which means there is no chip that provides any sort of safety features. Make sure that you know how to use a mech mod safely, including proper coil-building techniques and choosing the right batteries to use in a mech.
The Tauren Mech Boro Mod is a meticulously crafted device, boasting a sturdy aluminum frame that promises durability while maintaining a lightweight profile. Its small size ensures a comfortable hold, and the aesthetic appeal is undeniably striking, available in colors like Blue, Black, and Gunmetal.
I’ve seen complaints about the logo on the side of the device, mostly about how far it’s raised and how the gold color doesn’t match device or the silver battery tube. Those things don’t bother me, but I can see why it would bother some people.
There are airflow channels on the front and both sides of the tank so you shouldn’t have any issues with air being able to reach whatever style of boro tank you’re using.
The Tauren Mech Boro comes with a normal boro-style 510 mouthpiece which fits into the adapter that screws into the device to hold the tank in place.
Multiple Battery Sizes Supported
You get two battery caps in the kit. The shorter cap is designed to be used with an 18650 battery. It sits flush with the device and looks great. You also get a taller cap, which is what you would use for taller 20700 or 21700 batteries. This cap sticks up above the device but still looks great.
When you install a battery, you’ll notice there’s a lot of spacing left around the battery. This is completely fine. It won’t impact how the device works and once the battery cap is tightened down, the battery won’t move around.
You can install the battery in any direction.
The Multi-Purpose Wrench
You get this wild-looking wrench in the box, which has several purposes.
- You can use one end to screw the 510 connector at the top of the device into your tank
- The widest section of the tool fits into the battery tube barrel and lets you remove the ring holding the tube in place
- The open end of the wrench is used to tighten or loosen the battery cap
Disassembling the Switch
The kit comes with a six-sided star wrench that gives you the ability to remove the bottom plate on the device and gives you full access to the firing switch. Mech mod users know the importance of keeping all parts clean for the best conductivity, so that’s a great feature. You can take the entire switch out if you want and it’s easy to put back together.
You can also pull the button off of the switch and turn it around. There isn’t a big reason you’d want to do that, but there’s a small gap at the top of the button, so if you’d prefer the gap to be at the bottom, you could turn it around.
The Build Deck
The kit comes with a build deck accessory, which is basically a block that fits into the tank slot and allows you to use a deck on the top of the device. They called this a build deck, so it’s presumably designed to allow you to build and test your deck before installing a tank. Personally, I think that’s too dangerous to do on a mech. I would rather build and test a deck on a regulated device, ensure it’s working correctly without any shorts, and then install it on the Tauren Mech Boro.
But what I think is really cool about this build deck, is that you can effectively turn the Tauren Mech Boro into a regular mech and use any type of atomizer you want on top. I love that feature.
Using the Tauren Mech Boro
The Tauren Mech Boro Mod has been both a pleasure and a pain. It has some great features, but there’s also room for improvement.
- Powerful Performance: With the right build and battery, the mod delivers a potent hit and maintains a consistent power output, ensuring a satisfying vaping experience. But if you build too low, the vape will be subpar, much like any other mech you would use.
- Modularity: The ability to disassemble every component, including the firing switch and the battery tube, is a significant advantage for maintenance and thorough cleaning. Removing the battery tube so that you can see the battery is also a great feature, especially if you have a nice battery wrap you want to show off.
- Removable tank cover: The tank cover is held in place with magnets and holds strong. It snaps right into place and feels good when taking it on or off.
- Compatibility Issues: I had trouble getting two boro tanks to work with the mod. I tested the Vessel RBA Boro Tank and the Kylin M Boro Tank. Neither of them would work. I tried rebuilding the tanks several times, I tried extending and lowering the connection pin on the device, and I disassembled the switch and tightened the screws, but nothing would work. I tested both tanks in regulated devices, and they worked fine, so I don’t know what the problem is. This could be a significant drawback depending on the boro tank you use.
- The tank cover has a series number on it. It’s not a big deal to me but I’ve heard complaints about it, which is understandable. If you have one of the first models made, it might not be so bad. But if you’re number 1034, it’s not such a great feature.
The Tauren Mech Boro Mod is a great mech device, as long as you can find a boro tank that works with it. With the right build, it’s a mod that offers a powerful hit, and with the wrong build, you get a weak hit – and that’s just how mechs work.
The Tauren Mech Boro has a very nice design and build quality too. It looks and feels like a strong and durable piece of equipment, and each piece looks machined well.
But as far as compatibility with various boro tanks, that’s where I ran into problems. Interestingly, I haven’t seen any other reviews mentioning compatibility problems, so maybe there’s just something wrong with my device.
If you’re looking for a great-looking boro mech and one that’s very affordable compared to other boro devices on the market, this is definitely worth looking into.
Tauren Mech Boro Mod User Manual
Disclosure: This device was sent to me for review from Sourcemore.